Time & Location
About the event
This team-based orienteering event challenges teams to visit as many checkpoints as possible within a given time limit. We offer both 3-hour and 6-hour course options, so the event is open to both casual hikers and competitive orienteering racers alike. So what are you waiting for? Come out and join the Minnesota Orienteering Club at our Northwoods ROGAINE! For teams of 2, 3 or 4, and solo racers. (Solo racers require approval from the race director. Please contact us.)
Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest near Drummond, WI. Campsites are reserved at Namekagon Campground ($10 per person) for both Friday and Saturday nights. There is an option to pay for camping when registering.
Meeting and Parking Location:
Drummond Civic Center
52540 Front Ave, Drummond, WI 54832
- Long course (6 hour) will depart by bus at 9:00AM to a remote start. Return by bus around 4:00PM
- Short course (3 hour) will depart by bus at Noon to a remote start. Return by bus around 4:00PM
- Picnic at the Civic Center building
New to ROGAINES?
ROGAINE (Rugged Outdoor Group Activity Involving Navigation and Endurance) is a type of orienteering event which is longer in distance than a standard sprint-style orienteering course. The event is a ‘score-o’ format, which means that teams are allowed to choose their own route and visit checkpoints in any order. It’s a time-based challenge, so teams will visit as many checkpoints as possible during the given time limit. Teams which finish after the limit are given penalty points, which are deducted from their overall score. Typically, checkpoints are assigned different point values (difficult ones are given a higher point value than easy ones), though at our Northwoods ROGAINE, all checkpoints are worth the same value.
Teams of 2, 3, or 4 and solo racers are welcome. Solo racers require approval from the race director so please contact us if you would like to be a solo racer. Single persons may enter and will be teamed up on the day with other single persons of similar goals/abilities.
Need help finding a team? Check out our Teammate Finder! Add your name to our Teammate Finder or find others to form your own team.
On or before August 11: $35/person *
August 11-August 22: $45/person *
* $5 discount for orienteering club members
8:30-9:00 - Check-in (6-hour event)
9:00 Bus Leaves Drummond Civic Center Parking Lot for drop off at remote start.
9:30 - Race Starts (6-hour event)
11:30 -12:00 - Check-in (3-hour event)
12:00 Bus Leaves Drummond Civic Center Parking Lot for drop of at remote start.
12:30 - Race starts (3-hour event)
3:30 - Courses Close
4:00 - Potluck, Awards, and Social at Drummond Civic Center Building
Bring a dish to pass (A bag of chips are great, but bring a dish to share as well!) MNOC will provide meat, buns, condiments, beverage, as well as cups, plates, etc.
This event follows the usual Score-O Rogaine format. Controls may be visited in any order and will be worth 10 points each. The race cutoff time is 3:30pm, regardless of the time the race starts. Every minute (or portion of a minute) past 3:30pm will incur a 5-point penalty.
Competition rules are based on those outlined by the Australian Rogaine Association, with the following changes:
- R2: A team with any member under 18 years of age must have at least one member over 18 years of age.
- R27: The event shall end at a specified clock time, rather than a set number of hours after the start time.
Additional rules will be advised at the pre-start briefing on August 24th, and on the Announcements page (when available).
Mandatory Gear List
Be sure to read our Mandatory Gear List. Participants will not be allowed to participate unless they bring this equipment.
- Compass for each participant
- Whistle for each participant
- Carry your own water: Hydration pack, water bottle, back pack, etc.
- Carry your own nutrition: food, energy bars, etc.
Not mandatory gear, but highly recommended:
- Long pants, long sleeves
- Insect/tick repellent
We’re typically asked what type of training or preparation should be done prior to this event, so here’s some info that will cover the basics:
- Navigation: At least one team member should have prior experience with detailed map navigation, and it is recommended that you are comfortable and proficient with doing a typical 'Red' (advanced) orienteering course. Additionally, we encourage all teammates to come out prior and try one of our standard orienteering events to gain experience. This will definitely give your team a leg-up on what to expect on race day. Also, keep in mind that we have some awesome Permanent Orienteering Courses (POC) which can be done at your team’s leisure prior to the event.
- Running/Trekking: All team members should be comfortable with running or trekking 8-12 miles through wooded terrain.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What type of punching will be used?
A: MNOC will utilize electronic punching for all checkpoints.
Q: Roughly how many checkpoints will be on the map?
A: 25-30 checkpoints.
Q: How many maps will be provided to each team?
A: Each participant will receive their own map(s).
Q: Will clue sheets be provided?
A: Yes – every map will include a clue sheet.
Come Clean Leave Clean
The Minnesota Orienteering Club practices a Come Clean Leave Clean policy. This helps us maintain a good relationship with the parks we utilize, sets a good example for other users, and limits the transfer and spread of many of the plants that make our venues less enjoyable.
It takes a handful of volunteers to make each of our events successful. If you would like to learn more about volunteering, please see our Volunteering page. MNOC would like to thank you for volunteering. We have a limited number of $5 REI gift cards for each meet to give thank you's to volunteers. If you would like one, please ask the race director. Learn more about volunteering.
Race results are usually published within 24 hours of the event. View our Race Results page to see the results.
Race Director: Mike Carlson
Setter: Mike Carlson
Vetter: Julia Bohnen
If you have any questions or comments about this event, please feel free to Contact Us.
- Member Registration$40$400$0
- Non-Member Registration$45$450$0
- Camping ($10 per person)$10$100$0