14th Annual Orienteering Skill Development Clinic
|Sponsored by:||Three Rivers Park District|
| ||Minnesota Orienteering Club|
|Where:||Visitor Center, Hyland Lake Park Reserve, Bloomington, MN|
|When:||Saturday, March 23, 2013, 12 PM - 3 PM|
REI will be providing door prizes.
Preregister with MNOC online, or by phone with Three Rivers Park District at
(763)-559-6700. Phone hours are M-F 8am-5pm, Sat 8:30am-12:30pm, Sun 12pm-4:30pm. $13 per person. On-the-day registration is $18
Visitor Center - Inside
|11:30 PM||Check-in and day-of registration.|
|12:00 PM||"Introduction to orienteering" classroom session in Great Room.|
|12:45 PM||"Introduction to orienteering" classroom session in Great Room.|
|1:30 PM||"Teaching orienteering" classroom session in Great Room. Discusses a structured approach for how to teach
orienteering to youth and adults. References to teaching resources will be available.
Please indicate your interest in this session on your registration.|
Visitor Center - Outside
These events take place outside the Great Room, on the northeast side of the visitor center from 12 PM - 2 PM.
Look for the pop-up tents!
- Basics of map and compass.
- White/Yellow course: About 1 km guided walk with an expert.
- Line-O: About 1.5 km.
- Yellow course: About 1.5 km with electronic punching.
- Beginner Score-O.
- Learn how to use a protractor compass.
- Learn from an expert guide on an intermediate course.
- Learn how to use pace counting to judge distance.
- Using attack points and handrails to navigate.
Jan's Place - Inside
Events between 12 PM and 2:30 PM at Jan's Place, about 300 meters northeast of the visitor center.
Stations are self-service and MNOC volunteers are available to help answer questions and give advice.
- Contours only course (2 km): Improve your contour reading skills.
- Score-O course.
- Other stations TBD.
- UTM plotting, AR navigation techniques, and other skills for adventure racers.
- A 1.5 - 2 km intermediate-level sprint course with electronic punching.
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Note: All courses close at 3:30 PM.